Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lets Try This Again

Long ago, I tried doing this blog thing and it sort of fell apart. I got started in college, and was consistently busy making new friends, working on assignments, and writing for work; not leisure. However, the good Lord has put on my heart the idea of making it again. Those who do know me probably won't ever see this, unless God places it on my heart to reveal it to those I love, as I am keeping this a secret; a place of solace to record my inner thoughts on God in peace. I do pray that God will use this blog for His will, and that if it is of His will, people will discover it. However, until such time, this is just a thing between me and God.

Man, all I can say is...what a weekend. I went to a church retreat at Camp Sumatanga in Gallant, AL. This particular retreat is called Behold, and let me tell ya, God is working in some powerful ways over there. Every time I go, whether it be the four years I was a camper, or the two years I have now been a counselor, it seems I come away from that place with a little more knowledge than before.

This weekend, I have focused in particular, for no discernible reason other than God placed it on my heart, on Jeremiah 29:11, where it says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD. "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." The more I think about it, the more I realize, "Brother, I just don't know it. I don't know what's going to happen to me in this life." Whenever the stresses of getting through school, researching seminary programs for the future, or even just life start to weigh me down, one verse in particular gives me focus and keeps me going. In the gospel of Matthew, chapter 6, verse 34, Jesus tells us, "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow worries about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own."

In layman's terms? Nothing in life is worth stressing over, because if we listen to God, He's got it all figured out for us! The only thing worthy of stressing about, confronting the wicked sin and evils of this world, no longer has any reign over us, after Christ died on the cross for our sins and tore asunder the veil in the temple leading to the holy of holies.

The coolest thing about Behold is one musician they hire as a worship leader every other year, named Peder Eide. This guy is definitely on fire for God, and knows exactly how to get a group of people dancing and giving praise to God.

Fourth from the left, in the black jacket. God is good all the time!
And all the time, God is good!
 
I love all of his songs, and would highly recommend downloading them from iTunes (Breakthrough, Rise, Roll the Stone Away, Taste and See, and As Is are a few of my personal favorites). He has just released a new album entitled "Rescue," and he played a few songs live for us, the most powerful of which is, "We Are Not Orphans." What I remember of the chorus is typed below:
 
"We Are not orphans; God will not let us go.
He knows us; He chose us for His own.
We are not orphans; God will not change His mind.
He loves us; He shows us, He's for us.
We are not orphans."
 
The particular verse of Biblical scripture I believe Peder is referencing is in the gospel of John, chapter 14, verse 18, Jesus speaking, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live."
 
This is the coolest thing ever guys! Because of what Christ did for us, we are no longer orphans. As a matter of fact, when we accept Christ into our hearts as Lord and Savior, we go from becoming orphans to becoming heirs to God, with our inheritance being the eternal life and salvation offered through Christ Jesus. We read that in Paul's epistle (or letter) to the church in Rome, when he says in chapter 8, verse 17, "Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."
 
 How awesome is that!? Unfortunately, its not a battle easily won for us, because once we become heirs to the gift of salvation, Satan will unleash all the dogs of Hell to pursue us to the point of hopelessness. As it says in 1 Peter 5:8, "Be self-controlled and alert! Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." Here's the good news, guys; while we may lose the occasional battle, God has already won the war! Sin died upon that cross on Golgotha, and with it, the mistakes of Adam and Eve from original sin were washed away in the mingled blood and water of Christ. And if you ever find yourself struggling, consult Proverbs 18:10 where it says, "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." And when this doesn't seem like enough, consult Ephesians 6: 10-18 where we are given a full defensive suit of armor to protect us from the evils of Satan, as well as the, "...sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."

Now how cool is that!? We serve a God whom just His NAME is a fortress of solitude from sin and wickedness. And we are given a "full armor of God" to shield ourselves, AND a sword to take the fight to Satan and his minions. How blessed are we to be the inherent heirs to God's fortune of love and mercy!

I pray that God continues to bless me with thoughts such as these, and that I can continue to grow in my walk with Him and share His Word to all. Next week I'll probably share my testimony on how I underwent chemotherapy and got closer to God. Until then, I'll close this with the saying good ol' Peder Eide loves to share throughout his performances: God is good...ALL THE TIME! And all the time...GOD IS GOOD! God bless.

- A Humble Servant of Christ Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment